Lansing PostSend your comments
Lansing Post is located at the confluence of the Stewart and Lansing rivers within the Traditional Territory of the First Nation of Na-Cho Nyäk Dun. The Northern Tutchone and upper Stewart River people used the site as an annual meeting site in the early 20th century. The trading post was established by Frank Braine and Percival Nash in 1902. It functioned both as a fur trading post and trading centre for the Northern Tutchone, Peel, Macmillan River and Tulita (formerly known as Fort Norman) people. Trade began to decline after the Fort Norman families returned to the Northwest Territories, and the Mervyn family, who had taken over the post by 1912, moved into Mayo around 1938. The site was abandoned in 1950 when the road to Mayo was constructed.
Schedule A- Chapter 13 of the Na-Cho Nyäk Dun Final Agreement states that the Lansing Heritage Site shall be established as a Designated Heritage Site and that the Government of Yukon and the First Nation of Na-Cho Nyäk Dun shall jointly prepare a management plan for the site.
The management planning process is now in the early stages and will continue over the next two years.
Documents and files
- Final DRAFT_Lansing Heritage Management Plan July 2017
- Map 2-6 Appendices_Final DRAFT_Lansing Heritage Management Plan July 2017
- Lansing Newsletter_#3_August_2017
- Lansing Newsletter_April 4_2017
- Lansing Newsletter January 2017
- FNNND Chapter 13
- CBC April 11_2016 Nacho Nyäk Dun aims to preserve historic Yukon trading post
- Lansing Steering Committee Terms of Reference April 2016
- Yukon News April 13_2016 Heritage planning for Lansing Post underway