Heritage Plans for Conrad

The historic site of Conrad lies within the Traditional Territory of the Carcross/Tagish First Nation. Conrad is located on the west-side of Windy Arm- "*Tsei Zhele Mene", "*Howling Rock Lake"- and was a traditional fishing, hunting and camping site used by ancestors of the Tagish Kwan people.  The community of Conrad was a short lived mining town established in 1905 by Colonel J.H. Conrad, the president of the Conrad Consolidated Mining Company. At its peak, the community had upwards of 300 residents but with declining silver prices, Colonel Conrad filed for bankruptcy and the community was abandoned by 1914.
 
Schedule B of the Carcross/Tagish First Nation Final Agreement states that the Conrad Historic Site shall be established as a Yukon Historic Site under the Historic Resources Act and shall be co-owned and co-managed by Yukon Government and the Carcross/Tagish First Nation.
 
A steering committee comprised of six members, three of whom were designated by CTFN and three designated by Yukon, was established in 2014.  The steering committee will prepare and recommend a management plan for the Conrad Historic Site as set out in Schedule B. Planning has begun and is expected to continue over the next two years.
 
*Unofficial Name